Crib Notes: Dad Fires Back at Targeting of Teen Data

The value of big data analytics continues to increase in this age of technology, fast fashion, and consumerism, but in 2012 one father was left angry and confused when Target sent coupons for pregnancy products to his daughter in high school. Target was able to target his young daughter with coupons related to babies and pregnancy after analyzing her shopping patterns to determine she was pregnant. Target was able to determine that the young girl was pregnant by using a “pregnancy prediction” score by analyzing about thirty products, such as unscented lotion and cotton balls, that were typically bought by expecting mothers. This method also allowed statisticians at Target to estimate due dates so the company could send out time sensitive coupons based on the stage of pregnancy the woman was in. Target collected data on a high school aged girl and began sending her pregnancy product coupons. The father intercepted these coupons and contacted Target to criticize them for sending coupons for baby products to his young daughter who he had no idea was pregnant. Target’s data analytics and target marketing even caused the father to learn about his daughter’s pregnancy. The story of this father and daughter brought into question the ethical issues associated with this method of marketing. This story also begs the question, how much do corporations really know about us? When it comes to Target, the corporation had to start mixing in the pregnancy coupons with other coupons so as to not frighten customers. This makes me think about all the disguised marketing tactics. With people having increasing presences online and on social media, how much of what we share is used to get us to spend more? I frequently joke that “there is an FBI agent in my phone” because one second I will be talking about how much I love basketball and the next I will see ads for basketball apparel, tickets, and memorabilia. Another interesting thing is that Target had no issue collecting data on a minor. Have these companies been analyzing my data as I have grown up? As big data becomes more and more advanced, only time will tell how much these companies will be able to learn about us.